As a long overdue update to this, we are working on replacing the social network G+ which is sunsetting next summer, with the Friendica federated social platform.
We are at present testing a node of Friendica and configuring it, it has great potential and a suite of various functions that surpass the G+ platform. It can be integrated and customized in many ways;
- Decentralized architecture with no central authority or ownership.
- Relationships can be made across any compatible system, creating a network of Internet scale made up of smaller sites.
- Seamless wall-to-wall posts and remote comments, even across different network nodes.
- Access lists for every item.
- Private conversation groups — on these pages all communications are restricted to group members.
- One-to-one private messaging on supported protocols.
- Optionally “expire” old content after a certain period of time.
- Download your personal data. It all belongs to you.
- Built-in support for StatusNet, GNU social, Quitter, and diaspora*.
- Support for email contacts and communications (two-way) via IMAP4rev1/ESMTP.
- Import arbitrary websites and blogs into your social stream via RSS/Atom feeds.
- Support for other services via plugins.
More updates to come on this soon!